Asbestos concerns shut down Langley school, students get an early spring break
It’s an early spring break for some high school students in Langley, who were sent home early Thursday over concerns about asbestos.
Walnut Grove Secondary’s drama room flooded March 1 and the school brought in a remediation team.
Superintendent Mal Gill said, in a post online, that as part of remediation expectations directed by WorkSafeBC, and out of an abundance of caution, contractors cleaned all areas outside of the drama room including the hallway and cafeteria.
In addition, air testing was conducted. Gill said numerous interior air samples were taken outside of the drama room, and based on the results and the direction from WorkSafe, the area was cleared for occupancy by students and staff on Thursday.
The district confirmed with manufacturers that the school’s MERV 13 filters filter asbestos fibres, according to a media statement provided by communications manager Joanne Abshire.
Leave a Reply