Uncertainty and division follow B.C. government recommendation on Surrey police
Those hoping for a clear path forward — or back — on Surrey’s police transition were disappointed Friday as the B.C. government strongly recommended the move to a municipal force continue and Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke dug in her heels.
Appearing before media holding the long-awaited 500-page provincial report in both hands, Locke said the “uncertainty around policing has gone on too long” and accused B.C. Solicitor General Mike Farnworth of using the people of Surrey as pieces on his chessboard.
“The original decision to allow this transition to go ahead was rushed and done without due diligence and Surrey taxpayers have been paying for it ever since,” she said of the transition initiated by the previous council and then-mayor Doug McCallum.
Locke said Surrey council made the decision to reverse course and stick with the RCMP five months ago after the municipal election and the province’s recommendation was just that, a recommendation. While council will review the report, she said she’s seen nothing so far to change her mind, despite the province’s offer of money to help cover the difference in cost between a municipal force and the RCMP detachment.
Leave a Reply