Ontario eased a pit bull ban, then a boy was bitten by dog in the face
Premier Ford says ban on the breed not changing, expresses sympathy for boy
Ontario’s pit bull ban isn’t going to change at the moment, Premier Doug Ford said Wednesday as he expressed sympathy for a teen bitten by a dog whose case had earlier drawn his attention.
Ford said Wednesday that his thoughts were with the boy who was bitten.
“Nothing is going to change right at this point,” the premier said when asked about plans to repeal the pit bull ban. “Our thoughts are with the family.”
The incident took place at a Toronto martial arts studio owned by Chang.
The boy who was bitten said he was taking taekwondo classes at the studio. He alleged he was challenged by Chang’s son — a 20-year-old instructor at the studio — to overcome a fear of dogs before Dwaeji jumped up and bit him.
“I’m not feeling too good,” said Muhammad Almutaz Alzghool. “I’ve been having nightmares.”
Chang’s lawyer denied that the teen was challenged to overcome a fear of dogs. He shared surveillance video of the incident that shows Almutaz Alzghool walking toward the dog and putting his hand out before the dog jumps up to his face.
“He approached the dog on his own and there was no pressure put on him,” said lawyer Leo Kinahand, who also called the biting incident “tragic.”
Toronto police confirmed a dog bite occurred last Friday, but referred questions to Toronto Animal Services, which has launched an investigation.